Tuesday, November 09, 2004

music.

I love music. It has enormous sway over me. I am constantly tuned in to some sort of musical source, even if it's my inner mind tuning into the universe.

Humans are harmonic creatures. The entire universe around us is constantly in flux, and we shimmer with the uncountable interactions that make us up. For we are not so much 'solid' as a close approximation of 'solid'. At least on the quantum level, anyway. The strongest frequency in us is our heartbeat. And its frequency goes at the basic beats we use in music: from a stuporous 60 beats per minute, up to a racing 160 beats per minute which is uncomfortably fast both in person and in music.

I believe that there is a frequency somewhere in our shimmer, a dimension, if you will, that carries some sort of vast universal radio station. Oftentimes if I let my mind go slack, some new and unknown piece of music will flood in. I've also noticed that places seem to have their own local flavor to it, too. It's so entertaining going to a new place and "sensing" the musical energy there. And I don't mean a new club, I'm talking about places where people move about, a busy shopping district perhaps.

The expressive ability of music is truly profound. You can make your music march along; you can make your music ooze along like someone drugged; you can make your music smile, cry or rage, just by manipulating the relationship between the musical notes and the rhythmic notes. It is, in all essences, a language with dialects, accents, and both eloquent and simple works of art.

Some of the places where music has struck me in a profoundly touching way: The swimming pier in Galway, Ireland. The Spui, a plaza in Amsterdam. Little Five Points, a funky neighborhood in Atlanta. And the amount of blues coursing through the Mighty Mississip', from Memphis south, brought tears to my eyes when I first set eyes on it.

Music, and its appreciation, is the universe's greatest gift to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home